Water Softening - scam?
Hi I had a company (Harvey Water softeners) come round today offering to put a device on my mains that softens water. She did a test on my water and said it's pretty hard. If I use their system which costs c. £29 0r 38 per month (spending on a few factors) or a one off fee of £1500 she said I will get the following benefits:
- less limescale
- descaled pipework after two years
- more froth when using soap
- would need to lose less detergent in the wash
- would have healthier skin and fair (for what thats worth!)
- could extend the life of my washing machine by a third
- would not need to use calgon in my washing machine
- hands and body feel softer after shower.
She did a test using detergent showing considerably less froth in my water than in the water which came out of her softener. When I did the same test using my cover washing up liquid the result was the same. I also started questioning the solution when she did one test using cold water and the another test (on her system) using hot water. When I questioned this she said she did not like putting her hands in cold water.
I have bad limescale and would love to do something about it but she did a few things which made me question whether her solution was a scam.
Has anybody installed a water softener and been impressed? Does anybody know this company (Harvey).
Any thoughts welcome!