WANTED: Your ideas for a future Balham
Date: Saturday 23 & Sunday 24 February 2013 11am to 4pm
Businesses & residents are invited to give their ideas on a number of schemes to improve Balham Town Centre. This is your chance to influence and shape your local area.
A public consultation event will be will be held on Saturday 23rd (11am to 4pm) & Sunday 24th (11am to 4pm) February in the Balham Community Space, Bedford Hill (next to Sainsbury’s Car park).
Wandsworth Council and The Balham Partnership has secured £1.9million from the Mayor of London’s Outer London Fund Round 2 (OLF2) programme and match funding to encourage people to explore, enjoy and invest in Balham town centre.
The funding will be spent on a series of local projects including:
· Installing Legible London wayfinding signage in the town centre & producing a new pocket map
· Improving the town centre website www.balham.com (including a new interactive map)
· Improvements to the railway bridge over Balham High Road
· Pedestrian improvements to Hildreth Street
· Improvements to the Balham community space
· Upgrades to the Post Office forecourt on Balham High Road
· Public artwork on an unsightly wall on Balham High Road overlooking Waitrose car park
· A programme of cultural and business events
· Exploring development opportunities close to Balham Station
The consultation event will be themed around an “Ideas Balloon for Balham”. Local people are invited to find out more about the project and will be encouraged to write their own ideas on helium balloons. When fixed to the basket, the ideas will help to project take off.
The design team will be on hand to answer any questions and performance artists will provide entertainment for children of all ages. The programme is supported by the Mayor of London.
The projects will be designed by the end of March 2013 and will be completed by March 2014.For further information visit www.balham.com/OLF2
Balham Community Space, Bedford Hill (next to Sainsbury’s Car Park)